Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Filmmaker Kelly O'Brien on grief, siblings and honesty


A recent BLOOM night focused on filmmaker Kelly O'Brien and a screening of Softening, her film about raising her son Teddy, who was born with brain damage and a grim prognosis. 

Softening is a candid story about a mother's love and pain, a sister's magical bond, a father's joy and devotion and a little boy's experience of the world. This Youtube clip is a portion of an interview we did with Kelly following the film. 

A condensed version of Softening that focuses on Teddy and his sister Emma was posted on The New York Times. Thank you Kelly!

2 comments:

Loved this film and the portrait of this family
So sad I missed the evening

Wow, thank you for posting this. I found everything that Kelly said so helpful. I felt & feel all the same things that she said so it was so nice to see that what I have felt is a "normal" response. She had some great insights that help me and I'm sure will help other parents - thank you. The film is just beautiful and touching and is a wonderful gift you've given.